I am playing with my “new-to-me” Gilmore floor loom this weekend. It has 8 shafts, but I am only using 4. I bought worsted weight Sugar and Cream cotton in a bunch of colors, and warped from back to front, as you are supposed to with a separator beam. I didn’t like it much, there has to be a better way to do this. I put on a Rosepath threading, and used a few treadling tie-ups and drafts to make “pictures”. It was fun, and mildly successful. We will see after washing – when the fibers settle into place.
I put on a second warp, going from front to back, this time. It came out beautifully! Then I sat down to weave and couldn’t get a proper shed. I checked the tie-ups. I checked the heddles. All OK. So I went to my oracle, Deborah Chandler’s “Learning to Weave”. Under “can’t get a shed” – she says (honest to God) “You forgot to put up the back beam before winding the warp”. I went to the loom to look, and of course that was it. Thank you, Deborah! I had to unwind, put the beam back, and wind it again, so it isn’t as pretty as the first try. But it works.
The weft is a Muppet yarn that Laura Farson gave me when I started to weave. I am making mats for the loom bench and my piano bench. Jasmine thinks I am making cat beds, and that works for me, too. Anything to get her off the actual loom!